Grilled Mexican Street Tacos
Updated: Oct 27, 2019
Mexican street tacos are smaller tacos, typically served on corn tortillas. They are small in size, making it easier for a “street traveler” to enjoy a quick meal. Marinated and grilled chicken or carne asada are served on two small flour tortillas so that they don’t rip or tear when piled with toppings. These tacos are brimming with bright colors and flavors from the fresh pico de gallo, cojito cheese, and sliced avocado.
2 lbs trimmed boneless skinless chicken thighs or skirt steak, cut into 1/2-inch pieces
12 mini flour tortillas, warmed (double up if desired)
For pico de gallo:
3/4 cup diced red onion
1/4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
1/4 cup finely diced tomatoes
2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and finely diced
Juice from 1/2 lime
For the marinade:
1 cup orange juice
1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
1/4 cup fresh lime juice
3 TBSN extra virgin olive oil
3 TBSN minced garlic
2 teaspoons dried oregano leaves
2 teaspoons paprika
2 teaspoons ground cumin
2 teaspoons ancho chili powder
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 cup crumbled cojita cheese
1 large avocado, cored and sliced
1/2 lime cut into wedges, for serving
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Gallon size ziplock bag, small mixing bowl, sharp knife, measuring cup, meat thermometer, preheated BBQ grill.
Prep: 15 min Cook: 10 min Ready: 25 min Serves: 6
1. Add full pieces of chicken or skirt steak into a gallon size ziplock bag.
2. In a small bowl whisk together all of the marinade ingredients listed above.
3. Pour mixture over chicken or beef in bag then seal bag while releasing any trapped air. Rub marinade into the meat. Chill in refrigerator and allow to marinate at least 1 hour and up to 6 hours.
4. Combine onion, cilantro, tomatoes, and lime juice in a small mixing bowl to make fresh pico de gallo. Refrigerate for at least one hour.
5. Preheat a grill over medium-high heat (425 - 450 degrees F).
6. Remove meat from marinade and grill until cooked through, turning once halfway through grilling, about 5 - 6 minutes per side (Use a meat thermometer; thickest center should register 165 degrees F and should be slightly charred).
7. Transfer to a plate, cover with foil and let meat rest 5 minutes before slicing it. This allows the meat to absorb all of its juices before it's cut.
8. Lightly coat hot grill with cooking spray and grill tortillas for one minute- just enough to warm them and add some charred grill marks to the tortillas.
9. Slice and dice meat into bite-sized cubes. Sprinkle meat over 2 tortillas per taco.
10. Add toppings: sliced avocado, chilled pico de gallo, and crumbled cojita cheese.
11. Spritz each taco with lime juice, a dollop of sour cream, and drizzle of hot sauce. Serve immediately.
1 serving: Calories 463
Saturated Fat 3g
Chicken carries plentiful amounts of protein and a variety of beneficial vitamins and nutrients. Chicken is a great source of vitamin B, which consumed regularly can prevent stress, anxiety, memory-loss syndrome, and can balance cortisol hormones in your body.Moreover, it can improve concentration in children and adults alike. Many studies have revealed that vitamin B also maintains psychological health.Chicken has a high content of vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K which contribute to producing red blood cells. When your body obtains the required amount of iron and vitamins, it can produce and balance red blood cells that will eventually deal with anemia.They also help to protect your eyes from weak vision as it is a powerhouse of, retinol, lycopene, alpha, and beta-carotene. The nutrients are essential to maintaining the overall health of your eyes. They regularly promote the growth of damaged cells and tissues effectively because they have a high content of riboflavin which is essential for normal healing of skin tissue.Your immune system requires adequate levels of protein; iron, magnesium, and potassium to function properly that are abundant in Chicken. These nutrients strengthen cells in your immune system, as well as your teeth and gums due to the high content of phosphorus. When you consume phosphorus regularly, it can alleviate factors that weaken your teeth and prevent gums bleeding as well.Chicken is a powerhouse of magnesium and phosphorus which are known to maintain cardiovascular health. They also contain plenty of nutrients that help relieve common cold and other illnesses associated with it such as a sore throat and congested nose.
Medium bodied red wines such as Pinot Noir or Zinfandel.
Street Corn Tacos
Add sliced street corn to the recipe to replace avocado and pico de gallo. Click here for our Mexican Street Corn recipe.