Bacon & Mushroom Stuffing
Updated: May 25, 2020
Whether you call it 'stuffing' or 'dressing', this is a very savory mixture for your roasted turkey, chicken, stuffed peppers or potatoes . The combination of bacon, onion, and mushrooms make for an amazing stuffing or side dish.
3 TBSN butter, melted
1 ½ pounds white bread, sliced (Keto and Gluten-free diets use preferred bread alternatives)
1 pound thick-cut bacon
1 small yellow onion, chopped
1 pound mixed mushrooms, cut into bite-size pieces
2 teaspoons salt
2 TBSN chopped sage
½ cup white cooking wine
1 cups chicken stock
½ cup apple cider
3 TBSN chopped parsley
Cooking spray, 9 x 13" cooking pan, large mixing bowl, large skillet, paper towel, cooking spoon, sharp knife, measuring cup, measuring spoons, 2 baking sheets.
Prep: 20 min Cook: 100 min in oven Ready: 120 min Serves: 6-8 servings
Before you handle any food, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Clean your kitchen work area and pull back your hair or wear a cap. You want to avoid contaminating your meal with harmful bacteria that could cause food illness.
To make Bacon & Mushroom Stuffing:
1. Heat oven to 250 degrees F.
2. Use cooking spray to grease a 9 x 13 inch baking pan.
3. Remove the crusts from the white bread and cut into 1-inch cubes; if using corn bread, coarsely crumble it.
4. Spread the bread pieces out on two baking sheets. Toast white bread in the oven, tossing occasionally, until very dry, about 30 minutes.
5. Transfer to a large bowl to cool.
6. Increase oven temperature to 375 degrees F.
7. In a large skillet over medium-high heat, cook the bacon strips until crisp. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain, leaving the fat in the pan.
8. Add the chopped onion to the bacon fat and cook, stirring occasionally, until soft, 5 to 10 minutes.
9. Add the mushrooms and salt. Cook, tossing frequently, until mushrooms are tender and most of their juices have evaporated, 10 to 15 minutes.
10. Stir in the sage and cook 1 minute.
11. Add the wine and cook until it evaporates, about 2 minutes.
12. Spoon the mushroom mixture over the dried bread.
13. Stir in chicken stock and apple cider.
14. Add chopped parsley. The mixture should be moist and very soft. If you like your stuffing extremely moist, add more stock as preferred.
15. Crumble bacon and stir it into the mixture.
16. Transfer the bread mixture to the prepared baking pan. Drizzle 3 tablespoons melted butter over the stuffing.
17. Bake until top of stuffing is golden brown, about 40 - 45 minutes.
1 serving: 175 calories, 4 g fat (1 g saturated fat), 25 mg cholesterol, 660 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate (3 g sugars, 2 g fiber), 6 g protein.
Bacon contains omega-3 fatty acids, which are the same nutrients found in fish. The healthy benefits of omega fatty acids are the reduced cholesterol and improved overall health in the heart. Despite the myth that bacon causes heart disease, it actually has a positive benefit on the heart and body.
Mushrooms are a powerful source of vitamins and minerals. They can help fulfill many deficiencies in our bodies with regular consumption. Mushrooms are rich in niacin, riboflavin and pantothenic acid. his delicious fungus not only adds depth of flavor to our food, but is also a vital source of obtaining the required minerals for our body. There are minerals such as potassium, copper, ergothioneine, and selenium. There is also a detectable presence of Beta-glucans. Low hemoglobin levels in the body can lead many health issues and lethargy. You often feel fatigued and low due to this. Mushrooms can be a sound addition to your diet as they contain copper, which primarily builds blood cells. There are multiple other benefits of copper. They are also an excellent source of dietary iron and contain 8.1mg of iron per cup.
Riesling and Gewürztraminer, which are pork's best friends, and you can apply that to bacon, too. Lambrusco would be a fun pairing, as would a Pinot Noir. I might make a case that the boldness of bacon necessitates highly tannic wines like Malbec.
Side Dish pairing: This stuffing is great paired as a side or stuffing for chicken, turkey, pork, cornish hens and other roasted meats.
Vegan and vegetarian. Replace pork bacon with vegan bacon alternative, such as Sweet Earth Hickory & Sage Smoked Seitan Bacon. See Bacon, Mushroom, Cauliflower & Almond Stuffing recipe below.
Kick the GLUTS and use Gluten-free butter and replace white bread using one large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets. See Bacon, Mushroom, Cauliflower & Almond Stuffing recipe below.
Reduce the carbs and replace white bread using one large head of cauliflower, cut into small florets.
Pump up the protein and double up on the bacon or add a half cup of chopped nuts like almonds, walnuts, or pecans. HERE ARE VARIATIONS OF THE BASIC RECIPE:
Bacon, Mushroom Beer & Cheddar Stuffing. Substitute one cup of chicken broth with one cup of stout beer. Add one cup of shredded sharp cheddar cheese.
Bacon, Mushroom, Cauliflower & Almond Stuffing. Replace bread using one head of cauliflower cut into small florets. Add 1/4 cup of chopped green onion, and add 1/2 cup chopped toasted almonds. For vegetarian version, replace with vegan bacon.
Bacon, Mushroom & Sun-dried Tomato Stuffing. Add 1/2 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes.
Bacon, Mushroom & Apple Cranberry Stuffing. Add 1 Golden Delicious apple, cored and chopped. 3/4 cup dried cranberries.