Epic Baked Alaska
Baked Alaska is a delicious dome made of a moist white cake base topped with varied layers of ice cream, then covered with baked meringue. This classic dessert originated at New York City's Delmonico's restaurant to commemorate the United States purchase of the state of Alaska in 1867.
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
1 teaspoon almond extract
1 (18.25 ounce) package white cake mix
6 large egg whites, room temperature
1/2 quart pistachio ice cream, slightly softened
1 quart vanilla and cherry ice cream, slightly softened
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Medium Large mixing bowl, cooking spoon, measuring cup, measuring spoons, parchment paper, 8” round cake pan, cooking spray, 5 cup metal bowl, plastic wrap, electric mixer, spatula, baking sheet.
Prep: 20 min Cook: 40 min Ready: 6 hours Serves: 6-8
1. Spray a 5-cup-capacity metal bowl with cooking spray; line with plastic wrap. Pack base of bowl with softened vanilla cherry ice cream; layer softened pistachio ice cream in the center, then top with another layer of vanilla cherry ice cream.
2. Pack ice cream layers firmly, and cover surface with plastic wrap. Place in freezer and freeze until ice cream becomes solid, at least 2 hours.
3. In a medium mixing bowl, prepare cake mix as listed in instructions. Add vanilla and almond extract to the batter.
4. Coat an 8-inch round cake pan with cooking spray. Carefully pour batter into cake pan. Bake cake as instructed. Remove from oven, and let cool on a wire rack.
5. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Place white cake still in pan in the center of the baking pan.
6. In a medium bowl, combine egg whites in bowl of electric mixer; whip, on medium speed, until frothy. Add remaining 3 tablespoons sugar; and beat on high until a stuff meringue forms.
7. Remove ice cream mold from the freezer, and invert bowl, allowing molded ice cream to sit onto cake.
8. Quickly spread meringue over cake and ice cream; swirl with a rubber spatula.all the way to paper to seal. Place in the freezer for 2 hours.
9. Preheat oven to 500 degrees F. Bake the Alaska on the lowest shelf, 5-7 minutes until meringue is lightly browned.
10. Remove from oven, slice and serve immediately.
1 serving: Calories: 330
Total Fat: 11.1g Saturated Fat: 5.0g Cholesterol: 41mg Sodium: 315mg Potassium: 204mg Total Carbohydrates: 53.1g Dietary Fiber: 0.7g Protein: 6g Sugars: 44g