New England Clam Chowder
Updated: Jan 25, 2020
Get ready to savor one of America’s most famous soup bowls of pure comfort! This New England Clam Chowder recipe has the perfect amount of cream, bacon, clams, and big chunky potatoes- You will keep coming back for seconds!
4 slices bacon, diced
1 cup chopped yellow onion
2 cans boiled new potatoes, undrained and chopped in bite-sized chunks
2 teaspoons sea salt
1 pint heavy cream
1/2 cup white cooking wine
3 TBSN butter
2 celery ribs, chopped
1 teaspoon garlic, minced
1 bay leaf
8 oz clam juice
1 teaspoon dried thyme
2 TBSN fresh parsley, chopped
1 (10 ounce) can minced clams
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Large stock pot, cooking spoon, measuring cup, measuring spoons, sharp knife
Prep: 15 min Cook: 30 min Ready: 45 min Serves: 4
1. Place butter, onions, garlic, and celery, with crumbled cooked bacon in large stock pot over medium-high heat. Cook until onions and celery are translucent. Set aside one can of remaining juice from potatoes. Do not rinse potatoes and chop into bite size chunks.
2. Stir in white wine, clam juice, and potatoes, and season with thyme, bay leaves, salt and pepper. Bring to a boil, and cook uncovered for 5 minutes.
3. Reduce to low-medium heat. Pour in heavy cream. Add clams including liquid into the soup. Add remaining potato juice as the starchy water will help to thicken the soup.
4. Cover and cook for about 20 minutes, or until heated through. Do not allow to boil. Remove bay leaf.
5. Serve in bowls with side of oyster crackers and top with chopped parsley.
1 serving: Calories: 396
Total Fat: 22.5g Saturated Fat: 11.0g Cholesterol: 101mg Sodium: 706mg Potassium: 960mg Total Carbohydrates: 24g Dietary Fiber: 2.2g Protein: 24.1g Sugars: 2g
Clams are a great source of protein, are low in calories and fat, and filled with minerals. That said, clams aren't as low in calories and fat when added to a dish that's rich with cream and dressed with potatoes and bacon.
Domaine Ste. Michelle Brut.