Crab Stuffed Flounder
Updated: Jan 14, 2020
Tender flounder filets are baked and stuffed with crab meat, celery, onion and a great combination of seasonings. Enjoy this East Coast classic!
2 pounds flounder fillets
1 cup crabmeat - drained, flaked
1 stalk celery, finely chopped
1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
1 teaspoon spicy brown mustard
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon white pepper
Crushed Ritz crackers
Panko bread crumbs
1 egg white
1/4 cup butter, melted
1 egg yolk
6 tablespoons mayonnaise
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 tablespoon fresh parsley, chopped
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Large skillet, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, shallow baking dish, marinating brush, small bowl, whisk
Prep: 10 min Cook: 20 min Ready: 30 min Serves: 6
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Rinse the fillets and pat dry with paper towels.
2. In a large skillet, melt 4 tablespoons butter over medium-high heat. Add the celery, onion, and parsley and sauté for 5 to 6 minutes or until tender.
3. Remove from the heat and stir in the crabmeat, cracker crumbs, lemon juice from half lemon, mustard, Worcestershire sauce, salt, garlic powder and white pepper.
4. Combine the egg white and 1 tablespoon mayonnaise. Stir this into the crab meat mixture.
5. Use sharp paring knife to butterfly slice the flounder filets to create an inside pocket for the crab stuffing. You can also use two thin filets sandwich stuffing in between.
6. Brush the flounder fillets with melted butter. Place in a lightly greased, shallow baking dish. Spoon the crab mixture inside the fillets and drizzle with any remaining butter. Roll to close filets and hold stuffing.
7. Bake the fillets at 400 degrees F for 15 minutes.
8. While the fish is baking, lightly beat the egg yolk in a small bowl. Stir in 5 tablespoons of mayonnaise.
9. Remove fish from oven and spread this mixture over top of the flounder; sprinkle with Pablo bread crumbs, paprika and parsley.
10. Increase oven temperature to 450 degrees F and bake until golden and bubbly, about 6 minutes.
1 serving: Calories: 308
Total Fat: 21.2g Saturated Fat: 7.0g Cholesterol: 127mg Sodium: 408mg Potassium: 451mg Total Carbohydrates: 2.2g Dietary Fiber: 0.2g Protein: 26.5g Sugars: 0g
Flounder contains a high level of omega-3s and selenium. Flounder is also known for being a low-calorie, low-mercury fish. Flounder is known to be an excellent source of proteins, having 24 grams cooked portion serving of about 200 grams. According to science, men are recommended to take larger portions of proteins on a daily basis. This is a portion of fifty-six protein grams a day, while women are advised to take proteins of about forty-six grams every day. Flounder fish is one of the low fatty fishes consumed in the world, particularly the saturated fats. While fats in food contain calories and are important in absorbing vitamins that are fat-soluble, taking too much of fats can put you into dangers of getting a heart disease. Therefore, you need to consult a nutritionist to get the correct quantity of fat one should take in a day.
Dry Reisling, Gavi and most Greek white wines.