Bacon-Wrapped Stuffed Meatloaf
Updated: Nov 29, 2019
This bacon-wrapped cheese stuffed meatloaf is an unusual and simply delicious version of a classic favorite. Made with a mixture of ground beef, pork, and buffalo, roasted red bell peppers, sweet onion, and BBQ sauce. Whether smoked or baked, it will be your go-to recipe for meatloaf!
1 1/2 lbs ground chuck
1 lbs ground bison or Buffy
1 lb ground pork
2 roasted red bell peppers, chopped
3/4 cup fresh bread crumbs
1/3 cup yellow onion, finely chopped
2 TBSN garlic, minced
2 eggs, beaten
1 TBSN dried thyme
1 TBSN spicy golden mustard
2 TBSN Worchestershire sauce
2 TBSN liquid smoke
2 TBSN minced parsley
12-18 strips of thin-sliced hickory smoked bacon
1 TBSN dried oregano
1 teaspoon kosher salt
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
1 1/2 cup preferred barbecue sauce
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy the following dietary needs:
Medium mixing bowl, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, aluminum foil, measuring cups, sharp carving knife Prep: 15 minutes prep Cook: 4 hours Ready: 4 hour 30 minutes Serves: l loaf
1. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients but only add 1/2 cup of the 1 1/2 cup of barbecue sauce. Reserve other 1 cup of sauce to top the meatloaf later.
2. Mix all ingredients in the bowl together until thoroughly combined.
3. Lay out a 2 ft sheet of aluminum foil. Spread a 1” layer of the beef mixture.
4. Spread a thin sauce layer and a generous layer cheese on top. Leave a border without any toppings.
5. Gently lift one end of the foil and roll the meatloaf mixture jellyroll fashion to enclose the filling and form a pinwheel loaf.
6. Once completely rolled, pat mixture on sides to form a loaf approximately 9 by 5 inches. Press beef in on both ends to enclose the cheese on both sides.
7. Either take a small baking sheet and make a foil loaf pan by taking a 24" piece of heavy duty aluminum foil and doubling it over by folding it half, or transfer loaf into a loaf oven pan.
8. Prepare the smoker and set it at 225 degrees F (I like to use fruit woods with this, like cherry or apple).
9. Brush top of loaf with the remaining BBQ sauce.
10. Arrange bacon slices, crosswise, over loaf, overlapping them slightly and tucking them under the loaf to prevent curling.
11. Place the meatloaf pan on high rack with indirect heat and smoke for 3-4 hours, or until middle of meatloaf registers 165F degrees.
TIP: If you prefer to bake using oven: Bake meatloaf in a preheated 350F degree oven for 1 1/2 hours or until middle registers 165F. Top the uncooked meatloaf with the 1 cup of remaining barbecue sauce before placing it in the oven.
12. Remove fully cooked meatloaf from the smoker or oven, allow it cool for 30 minutes, then remove from pan and cut into slices.
Total Fat 18g grams
Cholesterol 123mg milligrams
Sodium 844mg milligrams
Potassium 538mg milligrams
Total Carbohydrates 14g grams
Dietary Fiber 1.2g grams
Sugars 6.1g grams
Meatloaf is a source of B vitamins, Vitamin A and C, which are essential mineral requirements of various biological processes. Legumes and vegetables that are incorporated in the recipe are rich in dietary fiber, which helps lubricate the digestive system and prevent escalating blood sugar levels.
Cabernet Sauvignon, Merlot and in our home, Bordeaux wine seems to work wonders.
Bordeaux Wine and Meatloaf is the perfect comfort food pairing.
More varieties coming soon!
Jalapeno Popper Meatloaf
Follow the recipe and add 2 jalapeño peppers, thinly sliced, into the ground meat.