Rock Shrimp Polenta
Updated: Aug 16, 2022
Shrimp and polenta is a classic dish from the coastal villages outside of Trieste, where the fresh seafood is among the most prized in the world. The polenta that accompanies the shrimp must have a soft and sauce-like texture.
1 pound shelled rock shrimp
1 cup quick-cooking polenta
1 TBSN sugar
1/4 cup plus 2 TBSN extra virgin olive oil
2 scallions, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon red pepper, crushed
2 TBSN tomato paste
1/4 cup dry white wine
1/4 cup coarsely chopped flat-leaf parsley
1 TBSN fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon finely grated lemon zest
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy the following dietary needs:
Medium mixing bowl, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, aluminum foil, measuring cups, parchment or wax paper Prep: 5 minutes prep Cook: 20 minutes Ready: 25 minutes Serves: 4
Before you handle any food, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
Clean your kitchen work area and pull back your hair or wear a cap.
You want to avoid contaminating your meal with harmful bacteria that could cause food illness.
1. In a medium saucepan, bring 5 cups of water to a boil with the sugar.
2. Reduce heat to low an whisk in the polenta over low heat, stirring constantly, until thickened, about 5 minutes.
3. Remove from the heat. Stir in 3 TBSN of the olive oil .
4. Press a piece of parchment or wax paper directly onto the surface of the polenta and keep warm. 5. In a large skillet, heat the remaining 3 TBSN of olive oil.
6. Add the scallions and crushed red pepper and cook over moderate heat for 1 minute.
7. Add the tomato paste, wine and 1/4 cup of water and cook, stirring, until slightly darkened, about 3 minutes.
8. Add the shrimp and simmer, stirring, until just cooked through, about 2 minutes.
9. Stir in the parsley, lemon juice and lemon zest and season with salt and pepper. Remove from the heat. 10. Rewarm the polenta over moderately high heat, whisking constantly.
11. Spoon a pool of polenta in the center of 8 bowls.
12. Spoon the shrimp and sauce over and around the polenta and serve immediately.
Total Fat 5.1g
Saturated fat 1.1g
Net carbs 22.8g
Shrimp contains zero carbs, and is also very low in calories (approximately 1 calorie/1 gram of shrimp). As an organic life form, shrimp is packed with protein and is composed primarily of water, but there is also a small amount of fat as well. However, the most beneficial aspect of shrimp is the treasure trove of vitamins and nutrients that it contains. You can fill out your daily mineral intake of iron, calcium, sodium, phosphorus, zinc, magnesium, and potassium, along with vitamin A, vitamin E, and B6, and even vitamin B12! Shrimp also contains iodine, thiamin, riboflavin, and niacin.
Chenin Blanc from the Loire Valley in France is a good option
because it has a sweet, honeyed. stone-fruit flavor.
More varieties coming soon!