Lobster Pecorino Fettucini
Updated: May 25, 2020
An amazing blend of lobster meat, Pecorino cheese, garlic, shallots, and tomatoes. This creamy lobster sauce makes an incredible pasta dish for any seafood lover. The secret ingredient in the recipe will surprise you. I advise you to serve this dish with some soft warm dinner rolls, because you will want to sponge up and consume every bit of this heavenly Lobster Pecorino Sauce. Lobster Pasta with Pecorino cheese is a favorite meal of many influential men in history, including pop music legend Justin Timberlake.
Two 6 oz Lobster Tails
Two whole Lobsters with claws
1 cup fresh Pecorino cheese, grated
3 TBSN Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/4 cup tomato paste
1/4 cup white wine vinegar
1 TBSN minced garlic
2 Bay Leaves
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes
1 TBSN fresh tarragon
1 TBSN fresh thyme
1 TBSN fresh parsley, finely minced
1 TBSN sugar
2 TBSN butter
3 shallots, finely minced
One 16 oz container heavy whipping cream
1 1/2 lbs uncooked pasta (I recommend fettuccine, penne, or ziti)
Large pot, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, tongs, 2 colanders, large saucepan, measuring cups, large bowl, sharp carving knife, medium bowl. Prep: 10 minutes prep Cook: 60 minutes Ready: 70 minutes Serves: 4-6
To make Lobster Pecorino Fettuccine:
1. Bring a large pot of salted water to boil. Add the whole lobsters and lobster tails and boil for 10 minutes.
2. Using tongs, remove lobsters and set aside to cool. Leave salted water in pot and return to a boil.
3. Bring the large pot of salted water to a boil, then reduce to low. Add fettuccine and cook until al dente- tender but still firm to bite, stirring occasionally to keep noodles separated as it cooks.
3. Remove lobster meat from tails and claws; place meat in medium bowl. Remove the tomalley (green matter) from bodies and discard. DO NOT THROW AWAY THE BODY AND SHELLS. SET THESE ASIDE FOR NOW.
5. Heat olive oil and butter in large saucepan over high heat. Saute the diced shallots, garlic, and red pepper flakes and cook for about 3 minutes until fragrant.
6. Add the white wine vinegar to the saucepan and stir.
7- Here's the secret ingredient- Add the reserved lobster bodies and shells to the saucepan. We are going to infuse the flavor from the shells into the sauce. Don't worry, the shells will not remain in the sauce when we are done.
7. Add the heavy cream, tomato paste, tomatoes, and sugar. Boil for 2 minutes and stir thoroughly to combine. This will make the sauce a pale pink color.
8. Take one cup of the hot pasta water and slowly add to the sauce, while stirring. The starchy water will make the sauce smooth as well as thicken.
9. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, allowing the flavor of the lobster shells to infuses with the cream, stirring occasionally, about 10 minutes.
10. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 5 minutes.
11. Place a colander on top of the large bowl in the sink. Pour sauce into the colander to strain into the bowl. All the lobster shells, bay leaves, and residual skin from the tomatoes will become separated from the sauce. Firmly press the solid items to extract as much juice and liquid into the bowl. Discard the remaining solid pieces in the colander. Set sauce inside the bowl aside.
12. Drain the fettuccine in another colander and allow all of the water to drain. Set fettuccine aside aside and place pot back on stovetop.
14. Transfer the sauce from the bowl into the large pot that you used to boil the fettuccine and put on med-low heat.
15. Stir most of the Pecorino cheese into the sauce, stirring occasionally as the cheese melts into the sauce. Save some cheese for serving.
16. Cut lobster meat into bite-size pieces, then add meat to sauce. Stir and simmer on low.
17. Using tongs, add pasta directly into the pot with the sauce; toss over medium-high heat until sauce thoroughly coats the pasta. Add most of the parsley, tarragon, and thyme. Toss until well mixed. Save some seasonings for serving.
17. Transfer pasta and sauce into a large bowl.
18. Sprinkle remaining Pecorino cheese, parsley, thyme, and tarragon directly on top of the pasta and serve hot.