Cap'n Tony Chicken Tenders
Updated: May 25, 2020
We use the Captain Crunch Chicken recipe and add buttermilk and crushed Frosted Flakes-- which is where the name "Tony" (the Tiger) comes from. Instead of frying, we bake these tenders at high heat so that they are crunchy on the outside and moist on the inside. Trust me...they're GREEEAAAT!!!
4 large chicken breasts, each cut in 3-4 strips
3 cups Cap'n Crunch cereal
3 cups Frosted Flakes cereal
2 large eggs
1 cup buttermilk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 TBSN onion powder
1 TBSN garlic powder
Large mixing bowl, large baking pan, cooking spray, three mixing bowls, tablespoons, egg beater, potato masher, tongs, cooking thermometer
Prep: 30 min brine, 30 min, cool for 10 minutes Cook: 20 min in oven Ready: 90 min Serves: 10-16 chicken strips
Before you handle any food, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Clean your kitchen work area and pull back your hair or wear a cap. You want to avoid contaminating your meal with harmful bacteria that could cause food illness.
To make Cap'n Tony Chicken Tenders: 1. Slice each chicken breast into three or four strips and add them to a wet brine mixture for 30 minutes.
Check out our post on DIY How to Brine Chicken and Turkey.
2. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
3. Spray baking pan.
4. Use a potato masher to coarsely grind and crush the cereal together in the first mixing bowl. Set crushed cereal mixture aside.
5. Beat the egg and buttermilk in the second mixing bowl. Set egg wash aside.
6. Stir together the flour, onion powder, and garlic powder in the third mixing bowl. Set seasoned flour aside.
7. Using tongs, dip the chicken strips in the seasoned flour. Move around to coat well, then shake off the excess flour.
8. Using tongs, dip chicken in the egg wash, coating well.
9. Using tongs, dip chicken in the cereal mixture. Use spoon to cover and coat completely.
10. Using tongs, lay chicken tenders in greased baking pan, side-by-side without touching each other in a single layer.
11. Bake uncovered at 450 degrees F for 18-20 minutes, when it reaches an internal temperature between 160-170 degrees F.
12. Let chicken cool for 10 minutes before serving.
4 strips: 380 calories, 5 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 100 mg cholesterol, 430 mg sodium, 40 g carbohydrate (17 sugars, 2 fiber), 45g protein.
Chicken breast, with 31 grams of protein per 100 grams, is one of the best foods for protein. Protein plays an important role in our diet. It is made of amino acids, which are the building blocks of our muscles. Chicken is also very rich in vitamins and minerals. For example, B vitamins in it are useful for preventing cataracts and skin disorders, boosting immunity, eliminating weakness, regulating digestion, and improving the nervous system. They are also helpful in preventing migraine, heart disorders, gray hair, high cholesterol, and diabetes. Chicken consumption has been found to be useful in controlling blood pressure as well. The amount of saturated fat and cholesterol found in red meat such as beef, pork, and lamb are much higher than the levels found in chicken, fish, and vegetables. Therefore, the American Heart Association has advised consuming chicken or fish instead of red meat for a lowered risk of cholesterol and subsequent heart disease development.
Riesling; it's aromatic sweetness and high acidity will cut through fat and embellish the umami notes in fried chicken. Also could pair well with Prosecco, if you want something a little more on the sweeter, fruiter side.
Side Dish pairing: Macaroni and Beer Cheese. Beer and Honey Mustard for dipping.
Vegan and vegetarian. Replace chicken with strips of your favorite veggies, such as eggplant, zucchini, portabello mushrooms, russet potatoes, or sweet potatoes. Replace eggs with honey. Replace all purpose flour with rice flour. Bake for 12-15 minutes. Kick the GLUTS and replace all purpose flour with rice flour. In Frosted Flakes and Cap'n Crunch cereals, there is the possibility that they could contain traces of grains. For these reasons, they don't label these products as gluten free. Check the labels as the generic versions of these cereals may be a safer option as they not as processed as heavily as top brands.
Reduce fat content and keep the protein by replacing chicken with turkey breast. HERE ARE VARIATIONS OF THE BASIC RECIPE: Cap'n Creole Tony Chicken. Replace garlic powder with one TBSN ancho chili powder. Add 2 TBSN Tabasco or hot sauce to egg wash.