Smashed White Cheddar Cauliflower
Updated: Jun 4, 2020
The mix of roasted cauliflower and White Cheddar make this an amazing, flavorful veggie dish.
1 large head of cauliflower, cut into florets (about 3 cups)
2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
1 teaspoons garlic powder
1 cup shredded White Cheddar cheese
1 TBSN finely chopped chives
(optional) 5 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Large pot, baking sheet, sharp knife, measuring spoons, measuring cups, aluminum foil or parchment paper
Prep: 20 min
Cook: 30 min. Ready: 50 min Serves: 4-6
1. Preheat oven to 425° and grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray. Separate florets in handful portions.
2. In a large pot of salted boiling water, cook cauliflower until fork tender, about 5 minutes, then drain in a colander and pat dry.
3. Spread florets out in a single layer on the prepared baking sheet and toss with olive oil, salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
4. Using a potato masher, or the bottom of a small glass, lightly smash the cauliflower florets.
5. Top each smashed cauliflower floret with a pinch of cheddar cheese and if preferred, some bacon. Bake until cheese is melted and crispy around the edges, about 20-23 minutes.
6. Sprinkle chives over cauliflower and serve warm.
total fat: 5.7g
saturated fat: 1.8g
Cauliflower is a cruciferous vegetable that is naturally high in fiber and B-vitamins. It provides antioxidants and phytonutrients that can protect against cancer. It also contains fiber to enhance weight loss and digestion, choline that is essential for learning and memory, and many other important nutrients.