Kroketten Dutch Croquettes
These are popular treats in Holland; They even have vending machines in the streets where you can get them anytime. The McDonalds in Holland has a McCroquette too! Whether you add pork, veal, beef, or any variation- Mix and match the fillings to your liking.
1/4 cup butter
6 TBSN flour
1 cup hot milk
2 1/4 cup cold leftover meat (roast, pork, chicken, turkey)
1/2 medium onion
1/4 cup cup corn, peas, carrot mix
1 TBSN sweet soy sauce
1 TBSN thyme
1 TBSN parsley
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon chili powder
1 teaspoon curry powder
1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
1 teaspoon finely chopped fresh parsley
8 oz Gouda cheese, cut into strips
salt and pepper to taste
To make Crumb Coating:
2 eggs (slightly beaten with milk)
1/3 cup milk (add to egg mixture)
1 cup flour
2 cup Panko breadcrumbs
1 teaspoon salt and pepper
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Microwavable cup, microwave, small sauce pan, mixing spoon, food processor, Large mixing bowl, measuring cup, measuring spoons
Prep: 20 min Cook: 10 min Ready: 30 min Serves: 4-6
1. Warm milk in the microwave.
2. In a small sauce pan melt butter, stir in flour to make a paste
3. Cook for 3 minutes while continually stirring then gradually mix in hot milk and bring to a boil, lower the heat and simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add salt and pepper to taste then pour into a bowl to cool.
5. Place paprika, chili powder, curry powder, salt, pepper, Worcestershire sauce, and all remaining filling ingredients into a food processor and pulse until smooth.
6. Add to bowl with cool sauce, stir well to make a thick paste, taste and season with salt and pepper if needed.
7. Prepare coating stations, flour, egg beaten with the milk and bread crumbs into dipping plates.
8. Form paste into small logs then coat with crumb topping.
9. Roll your logs into flour then dip in egg/milk mixture and then coat with bread crumbs. Thoroughly cover each one.
10. Oil Fry-Heat oil to about 350 degrees F. Fry each log until golden brown on all sides. or,
Air Fry. Heat at 400F for 15-20 minutes.
11. You can eat these just as they are or if you want to try it Dutch-style: slice them lengthwise top with mustard (dijon or brown) and place on a slice of white bread.
1 serving: Calories: 339
Total Fat: 17.8g Saturated Fat: 9.0g Cholesterol: 93mg Sodium: 595mg Potassium: 212mg Total Carbohydrates: 25.4g Dietary Fiber: 1.4g Protein: 18.6g Sugars: 3g