Homemade Natural Peanut Butter
Updated: Jan 19, 2020
Pure protein power without the junk to keep it preserved without refrigeration. This recipes gives you the freshest, most natural form of peanut butter- without all the preservatives.
You can substitute any nuts you like in this recipe or add optional spices and sweeteners. The method is exactly the same for making cashew butter, pistachio butter, or any other kind of nut butter. And it only takes 20 minutes.
2 cups (16 ounces) raw, shelled peanuts
1 teaspoon kosher salt
2 TBSN peanut oil
2 TBSN honey or preferred sweetener
2 TBSN cocoa powder
2 teaspoon cinnamon
2 TBSN chocolate chips
Mixture of nuts
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Baking sheet, food processor, silicone spatula
Prep: 20 min Ready: 20 min Serves: 1 1/2 cups
1. Roast the raw peanuts. Arrange a rack in the middle of the oven and heat to 350°F. Place the peanuts on a rimmed baking sheet and bake until lightly golden-brown and glossy with oil, about 10 minutes. Roasting gives the peanut butter a deeper flavor and also helps make the oils looser and easier to blend into a smooth butter.
2. Process the peanuts until ground.Transfer the peanuts to a food processor fitted with the blade attachment or blender. Do this while the nuts are still warm. Pulse process a few times just until finely chopped.
TIP: For chunky peanut butter, remove 1/2 cup of chopped nuts and set aside.
3. Process for 1 minute. Run the food processor or blender continuously for 1 minute. Stop and scrape down the sides and bottom of the bowl. At this point, the texture will look gritty and dry, like couscous.
4. Process for another minute. Run the food processor or blender continuously for another minute, then again stop and scrape down the sides. At this point, the butter will start clumping together. It's not quite peanut butter, just yet!
5. Process for another minute. Run the food processor or blender continuously for another minute, again stop and scrape down the sides. At this point, the butter will be glossy and soft, like very thick peanut butter.
6. Add the salt, oil, sweetener, and any other extras. Sprinkle the salt, oil, sweetener, and any other extras over the top of the peanut butter.
7. Process for 2 additional minutes. Continue processing the butter until it becomes completely smooth. Homemade peanut butter will still be a little more gritty than store bought peanut butter, but will be spreadable at this point. Taste and add more salt or other add-ins to taste.
If you reserved some nuts for chunky peanut butter, add them now and pulse a few times to incorporate.
8. Transfer the peanut butter to a storage container. Scrape the peanut butter into a storage container, cover, and refrigerate. The peanut butter can be used immediately. Refrigerate the peanut butter in a sealed container up to four weeks.
Total Fat: 10g
Saturated Fat: 0.0g
Potassium: < 1mg
Total Carbohydrates: 0.2g
Dietary Fiber: 0g
Peanut butter has potassium as well as protein which lower the risk of high blood pressure, stroke and heart disease.High in Fibre– It also contains fibre for your bowel health, healthy fats, magnesium to fortify your bones and muscles, Vitamin E and antioxidants.
Lambrusco, the acidity in the wine perfectly cuts through the oils of the peanut butter.