Green Eggs (Avocado Deviled Eggs)
1 dozen large boiled eggs
2 TBSN Dijon mustard
1/3 cup preferred mayonnaise
1/3 cup avocado, mashed
1 TBSN apple cider vinegar
1 TBSN onion powder
1/3 cup fresh cilantro, choppedEd
Medium mixing bowl, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, potato masher, measuring cups, sharp paring knife
Prep: 20 minutes prep Cook: 30 minutes Ready: 60 minutes Serves: 24
Before you handle any food, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water.
Clean your kitchen work area and pull back your hair or wear a cap.
You want to avoid contaminating your meal with harmful bacteria that could cause food illness.
1. Hard boil your eggs:
Place eggs in a large saucepan.
Cover them with cool water by 1 inch.
Cover pan with a lid and bring water to a rolling boil over high heat.
When the water has reached a boil, reduce heat to medium heat and set the timer for 10 minutes.
TIP: You can also steam hard boiled eggs by filling a saucepan with an inch of water and insert a steamer basket. Bring the water to a boil and place the eggs in the steamer basket. Cover the pan and let the eggs steam from the boiling water for 17 minutes for 12 large eggs, or 15 minutes for 6 large eggs. Reduce cooking time by a couple minutes if using regular size (not large) eggs.
2. Remove eggs with a slotted spoon and submerge them into ice cold water. Allow to sit for 5 minutes.
3. Once cooled, gently peel the shells off the eggs.
4. Use a sharp paring knife to cut each egg in half lengthwise. Use a teaspoon to gently remove the yolks and place them in a small mixing bowl.
5. Arrange the emptied egg white halves on a serving platter, and set aside.
6. Use a potato masher to mash the yolks, and add avocado, Dijon mustard, mayonnaise, and onion powder: Add more mayonnaise as necessary to get to the creamy consistency you prefer.
7. Pipe or spoon green yolk mixture into egg white halves.
TIP: Pipe through a piping bag with a star tip, or simply use a ziplock bag with a corner cut open to squeeze the egg yolk mixture into the egg white halves.
8. Sprinkle eggs with chopped cilantro.
9. Green Eggs can be prepared a day or two ahead of time then cover and refrigerate until ready to serve. Refrigeration is a must until serving time.
Total Fat 5.4g
Sat. Fat 1.3g
Total Carbs. 0.3g
Dietary Fiber 0g
Eggs are low in calories and rich in protein and several important nutrients,
including: lutein and zeaxanthin, which are antioxidants that support healthy eyesight. vitamin D, which promotes bone health and immune function.
Champagne and eggs are a classic pairing— the bubbles and acidity cut through that eggy fat.