Epic Oysters Rockefeller
Invented at Antoine's in New Orleans in 1889, Oysters Rockefeller was named for John D. Rockefeller, one of the richest Americans at the time, for its rich cream sauce with spinach and blend of cheeses- epic and full of flavor.
48 fresh, unopened oysters
1 1/2 cups lager beer
2 teaspoons garlic
1/2 cup butter
1 onion, chopped
One (10 oz) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
8 oz Monterey Jack cheese, shredded
8 oz fontina cheese, shredded
8 oz mozzarella cheese, shredded
1/2 cup milk
2 teaspoons salt, or to taste
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
2 TBSN Italian bread crumbs
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Colander, large pot, wooden spoon, measuring cup, measuring spoons, saucepan, baking sheet,
Prep: 30 min Cook: 30 min Ready: 60 min Serves: 6-8
1. Use a colendar to clean oysters, and place in a large stockpot.
2. Pour in beer and enough water to cover oysters; add 2 cloves garlic, seasoned salt, and pepper.
3. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat, drain, and cool.
4. Once oysters are cooled, break off and discard the top half of the shell.
5. Arrange the oysters on a baking sheet. Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
6. Melt butter in a saucepan over medium heat. Cook onion and garlic in butter until soft.
7. Reduce heat to low, and stir in spinach, Monterey Jack, fontina, and mozzarella cheese.
8. Cook until cheese melts, stirring frequently. Stir in the milk, and season with salt and pepper.
9. Spoon sauce over each oyster, filling each shell.
Sprinkle with bread crumbs. Bake until golden and bubbly, for 10 minutes.
1 serving: Calories: 248
Total Fat: 17.4g Saturated Fat: 11.0g Cholesterol: 66mg Sodium: 652mg Potassium: 244mg Total Carbohydrates: 5.3g Dietary Fiber: 0.8g Protein: 16.4g Sugars: 2g
Oysters offer a ton of health benefits, thanks to their huge stockpiles of essential vitamins, minerals and organic compounds. They're an excellent source of protein, vitamin D, zinc, iron and copper, and also have high levels of Vitamin C, phosphorus, niacin and riboflavin.
Muscadet, always-bright, always-crisp.