Creamy Mozzarella Shrimp Pasta
This shrimp pasta features a creamy Mozzarella alfredo sauce- made from scratch, with sun-dried tomatoes, basil, red pepper flakes, paprika, and cream. You'll have perfectly cooked shrimp: soft and tender - not dry or rubbery!
8 oz penne or rotini pasta (for gluten free version, use gluten free brown rice pasta)
2 TBSN butter or extra virgin olive oil
1 pound shrimp (without shells, deveined, and tails removed)
3 teaspoons garlic minced
1 teaspoon salt
4 oz sun-dried tomatoes
4 teaspoons garlic minced
1 cup heavy whipping cream
1 cup Mozzarella cheese, shredded
1 TBSN dried basil
1 teaspoon red pepper flakes crushed
1 teaspoon paprika
1/2 cup reserved cooked pasta water (or more)
1 teaspoon salt
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Prep: 30 min Cook: 30 min Ready: 60 min Serves: 4
1. Cook pasta according to package instructions. Reserve a half cup of cooked pasta water. Drain the pasta Using a colander.
2. Heat 2 tablespoons butter or olive oil in a large skillet on medium-high heat.
3. Add shrimp with minced garlic. Cook the shrimp on one side for about 1 minute, until shrimp turns pink or golden brown on that side. While it cooks, sprinkle a little salt over every single shrimp. Make sure not to crowd the shrimp in the skillet, otherwise, moisture will form and shrimp won't sear right.
4. After 1 minute, flip the shrimp over to the other side and cook for about 30 seconds to 1 minute more. The shrimp should be golden color or pink on both sides and not overcooked.
5. Remove the shrimp to a plate and leave all the oil in the skillet. To the same skillet, add sundried tomatoes and more minced garlic.
Saute sundried tomatoes in olive oil on medium heat, stirring, for 1 minute until the garlic is fragrant. The skillet should be hot.
6. Add whipping cream to the hot skillet with sundried tomatoes and bring to boil. Add shredded cheese to the skillet, and quickly stir in while boiling. Immediately reduce to simmer.
7. Continue cooking the sauce on low heat, constantly stirring, until all the cheese melts and a creamy sauce forms. If the sauce is too thick, add a small amount of the reserved cooked pasta water.
8. Add basil, crushed red pepper flakes, and paprika. Stir And add a teaspoon of salt gradually, stirring on low heat.
9. Add cooked pasta to the sauce, and reheat gently on medium heat. Add the cooked shrimp and stir then in.
10. Let simmer on low heat for a couple of minutes for flavors to combine. Serve hot.
Total Fat 23g
Saturated Fat 9g