Updated: Jan 25, 2020
Clams Casino is a clam 'on the halfshell' dish with breadcrumbs and bacon. It’s a beautiful mixture of clams, herbs, and veggies. You can use fresh clams if you are proficient with shucking; otherwise quality canned clams will work fine. It originated in Rhode Island in the United States. It is often served as an appetizer in New England and is served in variations nationally. I also prefer to use baking shells, so theres no need to open clams for ‘half shells’.
2 (10 ounce) can minced clams
2 TBSN extra virgin olive oil
1 TBSN butter
1/2 cup yellow onion, chopped
1/4 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
2 teaspoons minced garlic
1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
4 slices bacon, cooked and crumbled
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1/2 cup dry white wine
1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
2 TBSN dried parsley
1 TBSN paprika
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Slide and click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy your dietary needs:
Medium mixing bowl, cooking spoon, measuring cup, measuring spoons, aluminum foil, baking sheet
Prep: 40 min Cook: 30 min Ready: 70 min Serves: 6-8
1. Add 2 tablespoons oil and butter to a small skillet, and place pan over medium heat. Add onion, peppers, and garlic; saute until tender.
2. Add white wine and remove from heat, and allow to cool.
3. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
4. Drain minced clams and add to mixing bowl.
5. Add breadcrumbs, bacon, oregano, cheese, sautéed onions and peppers to the mixing bowl. Mix well.
6. Fill baking dishes (I like using baking shells) with mixture, and place on a baking sheet. Sprinkle with parsley and paprika. Drizzle with olive oil.
7. Bake for 10 minutes. Serve immediately.
1 serving: Calories: 346
Total Fat: 22.7g Saturated Fat: 6.0g Cholesterol: 29mg Sodium: 483mg Potassium: 264mg Total Carbohydrates: 23.6g Dietary Fiber: 2g Protein: 12g Sugars: 3g
Clams are a very nutritious whole food with a host of health benefits. They are a lean source of protein; are rich in minerals, vitamins, and Omega- 3 fatty acids; they promote sexual health; and have been found to possess cancer-preventing properties.
Sauvignon Blanc dry wine type.