Perfect Pulled Chicken
Updated: Aug 29, 2019
This pulled chicken can be slow-cooked two different ways: the easy way in a crock pot, or the better way on a grill/smoker. We’ll show you both. Whichever method you use, it’ll be fall-apart tender, juicy and delicious. You can use any preferred barbecue sauce, but we recommend using our Bourbon and Brown Sugar Barbecue Sauce recipe for maximum smoky sweetness! Try putting it on rolls with coleslaw and crisp dill pickle chips.
3 lbs (about 5-6 count) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, trimmed of fat
1-1/2 cups preferred BBQ Sauce (We recommend our Bourbon & Brown Sugar BBQ sauce recipe)
5-6 TBSN Extra Virgin Olive Oil
1/2 medium yellow onion, grated
1 TBSN Worcestershire sauce
2 TBSN dark brown sugar
BBQ grill or slow cooker crock pot, meat thermometer, paper towels, aluminum foil, two forks, medium saucepan
Prep: 10 minutes prep Cook: 4 hours Ready: 4 hours, 20 min Serves: 4-6
Before you handle any food, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Clean your kitchen work area and pull back your hair or wear a cap. You want to avoid contaminating your meal with harmful bacteria that could cause food illness. To make Perfect Pulled Chicken: Using a Smoker (preferred):
2. Bring smoker temperature up to 250-300 F.
3. Remove chickens from brine, rinse with cold water, then dry using paper towels. Coat each breast with a TBSN of olive oil.
4. Place in smoker grill. The required time to smoke a boneless chicken breast is about 1 hour at 225-250°F (Approximately 40 minutes per pound of chicken). Cook in smoker until an internal temperature of 180 Fahrenheit is reached.
5. Remove chicken breasts from smoker and cover in aluminum foil for 30 minutes.
6. Sauté onions in saucepan for about 3-5 minutes.
7. Add barbecue sauce, Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar in saucepan on low heat for 7-10 minutes.
8. Remove foil and use forks to shred chicken to desired consistency.
9. Add chicken to saucepan to thoroughly mix in sauce.
10. Remove from pan and serve hot.
Using a crock pot:
2. Spray crock pot or cooking bag with cooking spray.
3. Add barbecue sauce, Italian dressing, Worcestershire sauce, and brown sugar. Stir to combine.
4. Add chicken breasts and turn to coat them in the sauce.
5. Cover and cook on high 3 to 4 hours or on low for 6 – 7 hours.
6. Use forks to shred each of the breasts within the sauce inside the crock pot.
7. Remove from crock pot and serve hot.
Total Fat: 8 g
Saturated Fat: 2 g
Cholesterol: 61 mg
Sodium: 1058 mg
Total Carbohydrates: 33 g
Dietary Fiber: 0.3g
Protein: 23 g
Sugars: 26 g
More variations coming soon