Classic Crème Brulee
Updated: May 25, 2020
The Rolls Royce of desserts, Crème Brûlée, also known as burnt cream or Trinity cream, is a dessert consisting of a rich custard base topped with a contrasting layer of caramelized sugar. This one is my wife’s favorite. Be sure to see how we ROCK OUT this recipe with some fun presentation options.
1 quart heavy cream
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 cup granulated sugar, divided
7 large egg yolks
2 quarts hot water
Six 7-8 oz ceramic ramekins, large lasagna or roasting pan, measuring cup, tongs, butane torch
WARNING: Propane gas torches are highly flammable and should be kept away from heat, open flame and prolonged exposure to sunlight. They should be used only in well-ventilated areas. Follow torch manufacturer's instructions for use.
Prep: 3 hr 30 min Cook: 45 min in oven Ready: 4 hours, 15 min Serves: 6
Before you handle any food, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Clean your kitchen work area and pull back your hair or wear a cap. You want to avoid contaminating your meal with harmful bacteria that could cause food illness.
To make Creme Brûlée:
1. Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F. Add the lasagna pan, filled halfway with water So the water has time to heat up. 2. Place the cream and vanilla extract into a medium saucepan. Set over medium-high heat and bring to a boil.
3. Remove from the heat immediately. Cover and allow to sit away from stove top for 15 minutes.
4. In a medium bowl, whisk together 1/2 cup sugar and the egg yolks until well blended and it just starts to lighten in color.
5. Add the cream a little at a time, stirring continually.
6. Pour the mixture into 6 ramekins.
7. Place the ramekins into the large heated lasagna pan.
8. Bake the Creme Brûlée for 45 minutes.
9. Using the tongs, carefully remove the ramekins from the roasting pan. Mixture should have a soft pudding like texture with trembling in the center.
10. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours and up to 3 days.
11. Remove the Creme Brûlée from the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes prior to browning the sugar on top.
12. Divide the remaining 1/2 cup sugar equally among the 6 dishes and spread evenly on top.
13. Using a butane torch, melt the sugar from at least a 6 inch distance. This will slowly melt and caramelize the sugar without burning and form a thin crispy layer on top.
14. Allow the Creme Brûlée to sit for at least 5 minutes before serving.
1 serving: 400 calories, 33 g fat (20 g saturated fat), 290 mg cholesterol, 40 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate (25 g sugars, 0 fiber), 4 g protein.
Heavy cream contains the minerals calcium, magnesium, phosphorus and potassium in small amounts. Overall, other than vitamin A, cream contains an insignificant amount of most micronutrients. Heavy cream is a significant source of (predominantly saturated) fat. Compared to egg whites, the yolk contains most of anegg's good stuff, including the bulk of its iron, folate and vitamins. The yolks also contain two nutrients—lutein and zeaxanthin—that support eye and brain health.
Sauternes. Although it is sliding off the list of trendy wines, Sauternes is a delicious partner to the crunchy custard texture of Crème Brûlée. Moscato and Pinot Blanc pair perfectly.
Vegan and vegetarian. Replace heavy cream with Coconut cream. Replace egg yolks with egg substitute like “flegg” :an egg alternative made from flax meal and water. Kick the GLUTS and make sure you use Gluten-free eggs. Some grain-fed eggs are not considered to be completely gluten-free.
Reduce the carbs and sugar content by replacing sugar with a sugar substitute.
HERE ARE VARIATIONS OF THE BASIC RECIPE: White Chocolate Macadamia Nut Creme Brûlée. Add 1/4 cup of white chocolate chips when adding sugar. Add crushed macadamia nuts to the ramekins before adding mixture.
Creme Brûlée Flambe
Pour a cup of brandy in a pan. I also use Captain Morgan Spiced Rum 100- the flame lasts for several minutes. Light the liquor in a small pot with a torch to set it aflame. Slowly and carefully pour just enough liquor into ramekins to cover the sugar. The alcohol will saturate the sugar and flambe will caramelize the sugar until the flame burns itself out.
Sprinkle cinnamon on top for a "sparkle"effect. Serve with hot top layer. pour some brandy on top of your crust and flambe
Banana, Coconut & Kahula Creme Brûlée Flambe
Follow classic recipe and replace chocolate chips with a banana, replace vanilla with Kahula, add 1/2 cup of shredded coconut to the egg mixture. Follow the flambé instructions replacing rum with Kahula.