10 Epic Themed Cupcakes Recipes
Updated: May 25, 2020
You deserve a rainbow for your birthday! This cupcake recipe will add fun and excitement to your special day! Check out how we ROCK OUT this recipe to make various types of colorful, yummy, and epic cupcakes!
1 box of white cake mix
Red, Yellow, Blue Food coloring
1 container of whipped white vanilla frosting
Rainbow colored sprinkles
Colorful cupcake liners
6 plastic bowls or cups
Before you begin, prepare these items: Mixing bowl, small bowls or cups to mix coloring and batter, mixing spoons, teaspoons, 8 cup cupcake pan, toothpicks, ladle. Cupcake Frosting Decorator (optional)
Prep: 15 min, 5 for frosting Cook: 12-15 min in oven Ready: 32-35 min Serves: 8 cupcakes
Before you handle any food, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Clean your kitchen work area and pull back your hair or wear a cap. You want to avoid contaminating your meal with harmful bacteria that could cause food illness.
To make Rainbow Cupcakes:
1. Prepare cake batter according to directions on box using mixing bowl.
2. Use a ladle to spoon the cake batter equally into each of the bowls/cups. One for each color: Red, Purple, Blue, Green, Yellow, Orange.
3. Add total of 20 drops of food coloring to each bowl of batter until your desired colors are achieved, blending well.
To make the following colors:
Red + Blue = Purple
Blue + Yellow = Green
Yellow + Red = Orange
Red + Blue + Yellow = Black
4. Place the cupcake liners in the muffin pan cups.
5. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
6. Place a heaping teaspoon of red batter in the center of each muffin wrapper.
7. Add a teaspoon of purple batter onto the center of the red batter. Repeat this step in this order- red, purple, blue, green, yellow, orange. Drop each teaspoon carefully into the middle of each previous glob of batter, until all of the muffin wrappers are 1/2-3/4 full.
8. Bake cupcakes at 350 degrees F for 20-25 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. 9. Allow to cool for 30 minutes.
10. Once cooled, spread white frosting using butter knife or cupcake decorator on top of each cupcake.
11. Sprinkle rainbow sprinkles on top of frosting and serve.
1 serving: 130 calories, 2 g fat (0.5 g saturated fat), 0 mg cholesterol, 180 mg sodium, 30 g carbohydrate (20 g sugars, 2 fiber), 2 g protein.
As in most desserts, the sugar content will vary and will be high, so enjoy in moderation as you can easily consume 20 g of sugar per cupcake. The amount of sugar will greatly depend on the type of mix and frosting that you use. Enjoy responsibly- we want you to celebrate and take a moment to enjoy your special day, and we also want you to live a long and healthy life!
Vegan and vegetarian. Use Vegan white cake mix, food coloring, and frosting mixes. Kick the GLUTS and use a Gluten free white cake mix. Reduce the carbs by using sugar free cake and frosting mixes. HERE ARE VARIATIONS OF THE BASIC RECIPE:
Use 3 bowls, one for white cake batter, one for red batter, one for blue batter. Vary layers of blue, white and red. Top with white frosting and Red, White & Blue sprinkles.
Use 3 bowls. Use neon food coloring. One bowl for neon blue/green frosting, one for purple batter, one for pink batter. Vary layers of colored batter. Top with blue/green frosting and add candy seashells, pearls, and purple or silver candy glitter.
Easter Bunny Cupcakes
Use 3 bowls. Use neon food coloring. One bowl for pink batter, one bowl for purple batter, one for green frosting. Vary layers of pink and purple batter. Top with green frosting. Add a chick or rabbit marshmallow Peep on top of each cupcake with a couple jelly beans.
Halloween Ghost Cupcakes
Use 3 bowls. Use regular food coloring. One bowl for purple batter, one bowl for orange batter, one for green or black frosting. Vary layers of purple and orange batter. Top with green or black frosting. Add a ghost marshmallow Peep on top of each cupcake along with cookie tombstones, plastic spider decor, or candy pumpkins.
Mardi Gras Celebration Cupcakes
Use 3 bowls. Use regular food coloring. One bowl for green batter, one bowl for purple batter, one for yellow batter. Vary layers of green, yellow, and purple batter. Top with white frosting. Add green and purple sprinkles on top of each cupcake.