Creamy Salmon and Shrimp Risotto
Updated: Aug 16
A trio of amazing flavors infused together in this seafood delight. Creamy, flavorful risotto combined with flavorful wild salmon and crunchy large shrimp prawns. This amazing dish is topped with fresh rosemary sprigs and lemon slices. It tastes even better than it looks!
• 10 oz. fresh wild salmon • 6 oz. raw jumbo shrimp (deveined) • 1 lemon. Half sliced. • 1 medium yellow onion (finely chopped) • 2 TBSP fresh chopped basil • 3 TBSP butter • 2 cups Arborio rice (Keto and gluten free diets use preferred alternatives) • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese • ¾ cup dry white wine • 5 cups seafood stock • Sea salt
Colander, sharp knife, baking sheet, aluminum foil, large sauce pan, cooking spoon, small pot, measuring cup, spatula, perforated spoon.
Prep: 30 min Cook: 30 min in oven Ready: 60 min Serves: 4
Before you handle any food, wash your hands thoroughly with soap and water. Clean your kitchen work area and pull back your hair or wear a cap. You want to avoid contaminating your meal with harmful bacteria that could cause food illness.
To make Salmon & Shrimp Risotto:
1. Preheat the oven to 450 degrees F.
2. Rinse salmon fillets in a colander, pat dry, and cut into portion sized pieces if necessary.
3. Place salmon filets on a greased baking sheet. Drizzle with olive oil and season with rosemary; top with lemon slices. Set aside.
4. Melt butter in a saucepan on medium heat. Add Arborio rice.
5. Gradually, stir in white wine and 3 cups of the seafood stock. Stir well.
6. Allow rice to cook on med heat uncovered, until all broth is absorbed and rice is al dente, 20-25 minutes, stirring frequently.
7. Once oven is at 450 degrees, place salmon, skin side down, on baking sheet. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
8. Don’t forget to stir the rice!
9. In a colander, add the shrimp. peel off the shells and remove the tails—discard tails and shells. Rinse the raw shrimp.
10. Place shrimp in small pot with 2 cups of seafood stock, lightly salted with sea salt.
11. Add chopped onion to pot. Boil shrimp and chopped onion for 1 minute, then remove pot from stovetop and set aside.
12. Are you still stirring that rice? That’s good. Once it is ready, Spoon rice on serving dishes.
13. Sprinkle grated Parmesan cheese on top of rice.
14. Use a perforated spoon to add shrimp and onion on top of rice, while draining stock to remain in pot.
15. Once salmon is done, use a spatula to add salmon to top of rice.
16. Sprinkle salmon and shrimp with lemon juice and chopped basil, and serve.
1 serving: 110 calories, 6 g fat (2 g saturated fat), 200 mg cholesterol, 190 mg sodium, 1 g carbohydrate (0 sugars, 0 fiber), 11 g protein.
Salmon is rich rich in Omega-3 Fatty Acid and is one of the best sources of the long-chain omega-3 fatty acids EPA and DHA. Salmon is a great source of protein, high in B vitamins, potassium, selenium and the antioxidant Astaxanthin. Aside from protein, shrimp contains over 100% of the Daily Value for selenium, over 75% for vitamin B12, over 50% for phosphorous, and over 30% for choline, copper, and iodine.
For wine enthusiasts, you'll want to pair it with Pinot Noir, Gamay, or if you prefer a white wine, go with Pinot Noir.
Vegan and vegetarian. Replace salmon with zucchini cut in half lengthwise. Replace shrimp with mushrooms and cherry tomatoes. Replace seafood stock with vegetable stock. Use preferred vegan-friendly grated cheese.
Kick the GLUTS and use Arborio rice that is not instant or pre-made, or replace with shredded carrots. Use gluten-free butter.
Reduce the carbs by replacing rice with shredded carrots and zucchini.
Pump up the protein with larger portions of salmon or additional shrimp.
Side Dish pairing: Caesar Salad or Italian Herb bread.
Need DINNER MUSIC?
Check out our Playlists on YouTube for perfectly themed music to set the ambiance of your meal! For this recipe, we recommend:Playlist: Tales from the Sea
Salmon & Garlic Shrimp. Add 2 teaspoon minced garlic to pot before boiling shrimp.
Rosemary Salmon with Tomatoes. Place fresh rosemary sprig on each salmon filet while baking. Add a cup of halved cherry tomatoes when heating remaining butter and white wine.
Salmon & Shrimp with Cilantro Lime Risotto. Replace Basil with chopped fresh Cilantro. Replace lemons with lime slices and juice. Do not add Parmesan. Adding shredded toasted coconut and diced tomatoes to rice also enhances the flavor.