The secret isn’t the balanced mix of herbs, spices, and seasonings, but the outer layer of crunchy snack chip crumbs that gives your chicken an added layer of flavor and crispy, fried-chicken like texture. Use potato chips, tortilla chips, or crunchy puffs to add a crunchy crust to your baked chicken. This recipe can be used for tenders, wings, drums, breasts— any piece of chicken you prefer!
See the basic recipe for BBQ Potato Chip Crusted Chicken below. Scroll down to see how we ROCK OUT the basic recipe in our Epic 10 variations.
To make BBQ Potato Chip Crusted Chicken:
3-5 lbs chicken pieces (whether boneless or not, white or dark meat- use whatever combination you prefer)
1 cup buttermilk or Almond milk
1/4 cup kosher salt
1/4 cup sugar or alternative sweetener
1/4 cup preferred barbecue sauce
1 cup crushed BBQ Potato Chips (preferably Kettle style)
To make seasoned flour:
1 cup all purpose flour
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 cup Panko breadcrumbs
2 tsp white pepper
1 tsp Oregano
1 tsp parsley
1 tsp seasoning salt
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp black pepper
1 tsp dried mustard
1 tsp paprika
LOOKING FOR OTHER INGREDIENT ALTERNATIVES TO USE IN THIS RECIPE?
Click the icon below to view ingredient alternatives that satisfy the following dietary needs:
Medium mixing bowl, mixing spoon, measuring spoons, aluminum foil, measuring cups, sharp carving knife Prep: 60 minutes prep Cook: 30 minutes Ready: 90 minutes Serves: 4-6
1. Place the chicken parts with the skin on in a large Ziplock bag.
2. Pour in the buttermilk, sugar, and kosher salt to coat.
3. Squeeze the air out of the bag and seal. Massage the pieces so all are thoroughly coated.
4. Place in refrigerator for 3 hours to marinate in buttermilk mixture.
5. Preheat the oven to 425 F.
6. In a medium sized bowl, mix together the flour, Breadcrumbs, baking powder and seasoning mixture. Set aside.
7. Beat the eggs in another medium sized bowl. Add barbecur sauce and stir to combine.
8. While pan is heating up remove each chicken piece one at a time from the buttermilk, shaking off excess.
9. Shower each piece with the seasoned flour and seasoning mixture over the bowl of flour, coating on all sides with one hand. TIP: do not dredge chicken in bowl of flour. This will cause excess buttermilk to mix with the dry flour and create damp, clumpy flour.
10. Once completely covered with dry flour and seasonings, dip into the egg mixture.
11. Shower with potato chip crumbs above the bowl, so it receives an outer coat of crumbs, one at a time until all pieces are coated. Place coated pieces on a sheet of wax paper.
TIP: Resist the urge to dip into the crumbs as it may pull off the initial coat of flour and end up in the dry crumbs.
12. Using potholders, take the heated pan and oil out of the oven.
13. Use tongs to carefully add each of the coated chicken pieces to the pan.
14. Bake uncovered for 20 minutes. 15. Use tongs to turn the chicken pieces over, and bake another 20 minutes or until internal temperature reads 165°F depending on the size of your chicken pieces. Breasts tend to require more time to cook than drumsticks or legs.
16. Remove from oven. Rest for 5 minutes and let excess oil drain on paper towels. Enjoy!
Total Fat 16 g
Saturated fat 4.3 g
Polyunsaturated fat 3.5 g
Monounsaturated fat 6 g
Cholesterol 113 mg
Sodium 100 mg
Potassium 311 mg
Total Carbohydrate 2.4 g
Dietary fiber 0.1 g
Sugar 0 g
Protein 40 g
Chicken carries plentiful amounts of protein and a variety of beneficial vitamins and nutrients. Chicken is a great source of vitamin B, which consumed regularly can prevent stress, anxiety, memory-loss syndrome, and can balance cortisol hormones in your body. Moreover, it can improve concentration in children and adults alike. Many studies have revealed that vitamin B also maintains psychological health. Chicken has a high content of vitamins such as vitamin A, vitamin E, and vitamin K which contribute to producing red blood cells. When your body obtains the required amount of iron and vitamins, it can produce and balance red blood cells that will eventually deal with anemia. They also help to protect your eyes from weak vision as it is a powerhouse of, retinol, lycopene, alpha, and beta-carotene. The nutrients are essential to maintaining the overall health of your eyes. They regularly promote the growth of damaged cells and tissues effectively because they have a high content of riboflavin which is essential for normal healing of skin tissue. Your immune system requires adequate levels of protein; iron, magnesium, and potassium to function properly that are abundant in Chicken. These nutrients strengthen cells in your immune system, as well as your teeth and gums due to the high content of phosphorus. When you consume phosphorus regularly, it can alleviate factors that weaken your teeth and prevent gums bleeding as well. Chicken is a powerhouse of magnesium and phosphorus which are known to maintain cardiovascular health. They also contain plenty of nutrients that help relieve common cold and other illnesses associated with it such as a sore throat and congested nose.
White wines like Sauvignon Blanc or Chardonnay with white meat, while dark meat go well with medium bodied red wines such as Pinot Noir or Zinfandel.
Doritos Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with Doritos. Replace BBQ sauce with ketchup.
Lime Tortilla Chip Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with Lime Tortilla Chips. Replace BBQ sauce with honey.
Crunchy Cheetos Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with crunchy style Cheetos. Replace BBQ sauce with ketchup.
Spicy Hot Cheetos Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with flaming hot style Cheetos. Replace BBQ sauce with ketchup.
Fritos Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with crushed Fritos chips. Replace BBQ sauce with honey.
Sour Cream & Onion Chip Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with sour cream & onion chips. Replace BBQ sauce with honey.
Sour Cream & Cheddar Cheese Chip Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with Sour Cream & Cheddar Cheese chips. Replace BBQ sauce with honey.
White Cheddar Cheetos Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with White Cheddar style Cheetos. Replace BBQ sauce with honey.
Vinegar & Sea Salt Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with Vinegar & Sea Salt chips. Replace BBQ sauce with honey.
Everything Chip Crusted Chicken
Follow the basic recipe and replace BBQ chips with a mixture of several varieties of chips. Replace BBQ sauce with ketchup.